The World's Most Beautiful Night Trek in Oslo
Norad in cooperation with the City of Oslo/Oslo European Green Capital 2019 cordially invites you to join us for a free night trek in support of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
“So far, 25.000 people have participated in night treks in different parts of Norway in order to raise awareness about and to show commitment to the Global Goals. This time it is our great pleasure to invite you to join us in our efforts to shine a light on the 17 goals in Oslo, by doing one of the things we Norwegians do best, - going hiking. Hope to see you there!” says Director General Jon Lomøy at Norad.
Atmospheric hike under the open night sky
This time we are bringing the night trek to Ekebergåsen in our nation’s capital. The event is open for everyone, both young and old. We set of at 19:00 and there are three alternative trails over Ekebergåsen:
- If you are the kind who would like to get your heart pumping and pulse racing, a steeper trail begins at Konow’s street (Konowsgate);
- Alternatively, a less challenging route begins at Ekeberg Camping, and yet another one at the sports ground Ekebergsletta, following the gravel road towards the concert area.
All routes weave between beautiful light installations displaying information about the Sustainable Development Goals. Bring along a headlight if you have one, so that we can make a human light chain all the way up the hill, reminding the whole city of our commitment to the global goals.
At the top, we put on the coolest outdoor concert of the fall with Lars Vaular and Arif - completely free! We promise an atmospheric evening with lots of “hygge” underneath the open night sky. Why not come along?
Humanity’s common goals
The UN's 17 Sustainable Development Goals form the global action plan for eradicating poverty, combating inequality and slowing down climate change by 2030. The goals apply to all countries in the world, including Norway. Work has been ongoing since its inception in 2015, but for the world to reach its goals, we must spread the word. We will go hiking together for the global goals this fall in order to demonstrate our continued support and commitment.
“We have twelve years to reach the deadline for UN sustainability goals. Reaching them will require a collective global effort. Spreading knowledge about the goals is the first step towards taking action,” says Lomøy.
The World's Most Beautiful Night Trek is part of an SDG awareness campaign organised by Norad - the Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation. In Oslo the event is organised in collaboration with DNT Oslo, Ekeberg Park and Red Cross.
Tips for the hike
We recommend that you bring with you:
- Something to sit on
- Warm and waterproof clothing
- Backpack with something hot and cold to drink, and something to eat. Remember, this will be a long autumn night out in the open, so wear warm clothes.
- The date of the event is Saturday 27th of October.
- The event is free.
- The trek officially starts at 19:00, however it is of course possible to set off earlier or later in the evening.
- The free concert with Lars Vaular and Arif begins at 21:00.
- Ad hoc changes to the event due to changing weather can be made on short notice.
- This is a non-alcoholic event. Alcohol will be seized by event security or the police.
Representatives from Norad, DNT Oslo and the Red Cross will ensure that you have a safe and memorable experience.